Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Talking of Clothkits...

Ah... Clothkits... I have a great affection for the brand having spent most of the 70's dressed head to toe in their garments (delivered by post in kit form and then assembled & sewn by my mum). Unfortunately the company went into a prolonged period of hibernation (about 17 years) but has been recently revived and is back with a vengence with some contemporary reworkings of original items and plenty of new designs by innovative designers such as Jane Foster, People Will Always Need Plates and Rob Ryan.

Fortunately for me Clothkits' revival has provided me with the opportunity of attempting
my first proper, on my own, non supervised sewing project... albeit with stabilisers on (all the cutting lines are printed directly on to the fabric in a simple format which omits the need for paper patterns, and even the thread and buttons are provided... I was desperately hoping that this approach would be fool proof!).



And thankfully it was relatively straight forward.
So here is the finished article; a Jane Foster designed dress for my 2 year old daughter who was thrilled with the 'birdy' design.




And my verdict... as my first attempt at a wearable garment I'm happy to say it's a good start... I learnt a lot in the process but there's still plenty of room for improvement!

No comments: