Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Camden Arts Centre

I recently went to see an exhibition by the London based artist Michael Readecker, up at the Camden Arts Centre (which interestingly is not in Camden but just off the Finchley Road... Borough of Camden though I guess.) Having never visited this contemporary art gallery before I really feel sad that I've come to discover it so late on in life - I must have missed out on so many good things that have probably been shown here... So that said, I'm now obviously keen to share this wonderful experience with everyone I can...

The arts centre is in a beautiful old Victorian building with a grade II listing, that was sensitively refubished by Tony Fretton in 2004. It has a lovely cafe with an outside courtyard area shaded with trees, an interestingly stocked bookshop and most importantly a number of light and spacious galleries which are great for viewing the large scale canvases by Readecker.

The art itself was of particular interest to me (and this blog) due to Readecker's use of thread and needle work which has been worked into the canvas over and alongside the paint, giving the still lives, flowers and landscapes a very sketch like quality.

All in all this exhibition is well worth a visit before it finishes on June 28th...


No comments: